JOB POSTING #891274
Position: Hospital Support Aide
Salary Range: $17.00 per hour
Status: Temporary Casual (Days, Evenings, Weekend Shifts)
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for experienced professionals to fill the key role of Hospital Support Aide.
The Energy of the City. The Rewards of a Great Career.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
The Hospital Support Aide is responsible for providing non-care related support to patients. Assists in maintaining a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors and other staff members by providing comfort and companionship to promote well-being of each patient.
Provide routine tasks that support patients with their daily activities including:
- Assisting at meal times and during nutritional breaks by helping with set up, delivery and service to patients, in their rooms or in activity areas
- Guiding patients to and from their rooms and throughout the home to activities and to promote a positive patient experience
- Supporting patients in managing their personal belongings and organizing their personal laundry, choosing clothing and assisting the patient as requested
- Assisting patients with devices(cell phones/tablets) to enable patients to communicate with their families and friends
Provide patients with comfort and sense of purpose, including:
- Greeting patients, families and visitors in a positive and supportive manner requesting if they need assistance of any kind
- Assisting the care team in facilitating and monitoring visitors
- Providing companionship to patients while reflecting the preferences of the resident
- Helping patients to keep their personal belongings and environment safe, clean and tidy and making beds
Communicates with and supports the care team, by:
- Checking equipment and restocking unit supplies, reporting issues to the supervisor
- Assisting as appropriate with team members who are transferring or positioning patients
- Completing assigned clerical tasks
- Assisting in set up of patient activities and programs
- Participating in care team meetings as appropriate
Marketing & Occupancy:
- Effectively communicates and interacts with patients, family members, visitors, staff and volunteers in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conducts duties in accordance with policies and procedures of the hospital unit and employer as well as, government regulations, laws and policies
- Understands and follows all health and safety policies and procedures. Works safely to reduce the risk of injury to self, other staff members and patients. Promptly reports all actual or potential hazardous situations or injuries to immediate supervisor
- Participates in health and safety and Infection Prevention and Control training as required
- Maintains confidentiality of patients’ personal information
- Good understanding of infection control practices
Operational & Administrative Systems:
- Participates in care team conferences
- Attends in-service education sessions, staff meetings, and workshops as directed
- Identifies and documents building/equipment breakdowns in maintenance log
- Communicates with supervisor problem related to patient care and safety
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Prior experience in health care not required
- At minimum, completion of a post secondary certificate or recognized equivalent
- Must have completed HSA Online training program
- Must complete online health system modules and HSA on-site orientation
- Must complete in-house training before commencing duties.
Skills & Abilities:
- Must be mature with good judgement and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to observe residents and any behavioural changes which may require to call for care assistance
- Must be sensitive and empathetic to the needs of the residents.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with residents, visitor and others
- Work requires constant standing and walking, some bending, twisting and lifting
- Work is performed indoors in well-lit ventilated rooms
- May be exposed to communicable disease
- Must be prepared to respond to emergency situations
- Criminal Records Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Check required
- Ability / availability to work evenings/ weekends
- Preference will be given to those with previous history in working with seniors or people with disabilities
- Preference will be given to those with special interest / education in health care related field
If you are interested in being considered for an opportunity, please apply online. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions
We thanks all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.